Tuesday, April 26, 2016

giving way

"the creative process
is a process of surrender,
not control."
-julia cameron


having these past few weeks off from work, i've been gifted with something very precious. time. time to contemplate. time to invest in myself. my surroundings. my art.  time for things i have had very little time for these past couple years.  while physical limitations have demanded that i find ways of creating things using a different process than i have become accustomed to, they have also encouraged me to think in new ways. as well as to re-discover old ways.

creatively, i find myself falling back onto past processes with cloth. oiling up the treadle machine and piecing blocks. like these hearts above.  traditional piecing. even traditional quilting fabrics, for i have an extensive collection of quilting fabrics that have languished while i have jumped headlong into salvage and repurposed cloth. ignored for no reason other than my desire to control how i express my creativity. to direct its every movement. stifling it along the way without even realizing it.

i have always been about control. control over myself. my process. my plans.  i know that this sense of control is an illusion. but it is an enticing illusion. full of empty promises that delight the self's desire to be at the helm.  i have seen how grasping for this sense of control can kill one's creativity.  throwing up fences and laying down rules. squelching any real sense of manifesting one's art. one's self.  one must find a way to surrender. to the moment. each moment. to allow the creative process to emerge. whether that creative process is enacted through artistic endeavours, one's employment, cooking a meal, or any other daily task of living.

it's all about the surrender. allowing. being.

namaste'

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for this excellent reminder! Your blocks are beautiful. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Words of wisdom. Letting go, losing control, tough to do but liberating. laura

    ReplyDelete
  3. My morning has been brightened with this grand piece of writing. Thanks Joe for looking at surrender, creating, and that portion of our choices that brings control into the picture. Much appreciation for your thoughts and words flows through me.
    Kristin

    ReplyDelete